April 9, 2011

For the boys

Both my boys have April birthdays, 2 weeks apart, so we are celebrating them with a big joint party next weekend. This year the theme they chose was Star Wars, as they have been watching the movies non-stop for the past few months (all except Episode III, which we think they are still too young to watch). So I spent the day making light saber party favors:
I used SRM Magic Wand tubes (who thought they were too girly for boys?), Bazzill cardstock, EK Success ribbon punch; McGills ribbon punch; Glue Arts Extreme adhesive; Queen&Co. red pearls; and mini pearl brads from Eyelet Outlet & Brads. Tubes were filled with M&Ms. These light sabers were so easy that I figured I post a tutorial.

Start by cutting the cardstock - gray 2" x 2 1/2" and black 2"x 2 1/8"
Punch gray cardstock piece with ribbon  slot punches:
Add extreme adhesive to the back of gray cardstock piece to adhere the black cardstock piece:
Pierce two holes on the front and insert brads:
Add adhesive to the back on both sides. I found that the extreme adhesive squares were better for the closing lip, but the roller worked fine for attaching the cardstock to the tube.
Roll the cardstock hilt to the base of the tube (so it will stand om the hilt):
Attach the adhesive pearl to the opposite side from the brads.

I didn't have red brads and I really liked the rim on the brads, so I used both. However, all brad or all adhesive pearls would work just fine. These were quick and easy to make 20 in a couple of hours (while "helping" Dada do the taxes). And the kids are having so much fun filling them with M&Ms that they didn't want the filling part to be a "party activity" as I had envisioned...

Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

Renee Matarese said...

Genius! My son the Star Wars fan would love these! What great party favors!

Deana said...

Cool idea! Sounds like it will be a fun party! :-)