February 27, 2017

2016 Reading, part 3

To round off the books I read last year (before I get too behind on this year's list):

My absolute favorite was Jeff Wheeler's Kingfountain series. The Queen's Poisoner was one of my Kindle First picks and I loved it, especially narrated by Kate Rudd. The Thief's Daughter was even better, even though it had me crying in the middle of the night over the end. I had to move on to The King's Traitor immediately, and the tears kept waterfalling, but in a good way.

I love everything Charlie N. Holmberg writes (another author I discovered through Kindle First), and Magic Bitter, Magic Sweet lived up to my expectations. It also had the most haunting love story I've ever read. And, I think, my favorite couple of any world.

Intertwine by Nichole Van was also a Kindle First pick, and I once again ended up reading the entire House of Oak series. Divine was cute, but Clandestine didn't engage me as much. But I'm glad I continued reading as Refine was my favorite.

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater was the most "not like the others" fantasy that I've read in a while. The characters felt real and the water horses even more so. I highly recommend the audio narrated by Steve West and Fiona Hardingham.

I try to mix in classics with the more recent novels, and I had been meaning to read The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco for years. I really enjoyed the narration by Sean Barrett, Nicholas Rowe, and Neville Jason. Another one I really enjoyed was The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne, narrated by Ian Lynch. And The Lost World by Arthur Conan Doyle left me wanting more adventures.

It's not often I read mermaid books, and Emerge by Tobie Easton was really cute. I'm looking forward to the sequel. Another one that I want to read the next installment is Future Shock by Elizabeth Briggs. Great time travel, and a promise of a great series. Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta is a wonderful book, but quite heavy. I'll read the next one eventually, but I need lighter stuff at the moment if the sequel follows the tone of the first.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: