April 17, 2013

New Favorites

It has been a while since I read a book that I considered a favorite and wanted to start over when I finished, so I was very surprised that I read two like that back to back.

The first one was The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. I loved the intricately woven, non-chronological love story. Although it is a "crying book," it wasn't one I wanted to pitch across the room (like One Day by David Nicholls, which literally, I did). Ms. Niffenegger's use of foreshadowing not only prepared me for the climax, but kept me curious about how events would take place. I was so attached to the characters that I didn't want the story to end.

Then last night, quite late, I finished Karen Lord's The Best of All Possible Worlds, which combines a culturally rich world with a delightful boy-meets-girl love story. I've tried reading sci-fi romances before, but this was the first one that felt real, like the world I've been writing.

I'm on the lookout for non-dystopia sci-fi love stories with a literary bent, so let me know if you think of any.

Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You just made my book list longer ;)