November 6, 2012

Back to the galaxy far, far away

We're going to see the Star Wars exhibit at the Orlando Science Center this weekend. As I'm 2 years behind on my scrapbooking, the pictures won't show up here for a while. So I figured I'd post the books I read these last several months as they all fit with the theme.

I chose the Han Solo trilogy by A.C. Crispin for my summer reading, even though it kind of broke the chronology I was aiming for when I started to read the Star Wars prequels. I really enjoyed all three books: The Paradise Snare, The Hutt Gambit, and Rebel Dawn. I liked that the story filled in the blank between the demise of the Jedi and the rebellion's full fledged attack, with a focus on the outer worlds that were running on their own despite the Empire. And all of this through the eyes of my favorite scoundrel...

Now I'm reading Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader by James Luceno. If  I had known this was a third-person dual point-of-view novel, I would have read it months ago as part of the research I was doing for the novel I wrote.

I've read a lot of first chapters of sci-fi books to get a sense of how much--or how little--world-building needs to come in at the beginning. I read some classics and some modern ones to note the differences. Of these, the only one I finished was The Stars My Destination by Alfred Beste. It really hooked me.

But I sure have a big pile of books on my to-read list...

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: