February 12, 2015

New Year Reading

I finished V is for Vengeance by Sue Grafton, but I have to say it was not one of my favorites. This novel didn't feel like it was about Kinsey, and she is the reason I keep reading through the series. I'll read W is for Wasted when I get it back from my mother-in-law, but I'm not as excited about the series as I was a few years ago.

I closed Mage Revealed by C.D. Coffelt thinking of The Empire Strikes Back, which is my go-to for good sequels. I loved Wilder Mage, but it took me a few chapters to get into the sequel, as I was uncertain about Bert. I'm glad I stuck to it. Character development is excellent all around, not just the ones I remembered fondly from the first book. I like where the plot is going and I can't wait for the next installment.

Anna Loan-Wilsey's A Sense of Entitlement is a great addition to the Hattie Davish series. I love how the setting descriptions in theses historical mysteries immerse me in the time period, and the characters are delightful. I hope there is another book on the way.

These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner is a great sci-fi take on a shipwreck disaster. In some ways, it reminded me of Ghost Planet by Sharon Lynn Fisher, and I loved both.

To round off the list, I've been binging on a time-travel series by April White. The historical detail is impressive, and I didn't think I would ever want to read another vampire book until I met Archer. I got Marking Time for free after it was mentioned on a newsletter I subscribe to, then bought the audiobook to distract me when I heard my daily commute would triple in length. I started listening to the narration, but got so immersed in the story I had to stay up late reading to make sure the characters got home safe. I bought Tempting Fate as soon as I finished the first book, and now that I devoured it, I'm starting Changing Nature.

Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

Caryn Caldwell said...

Ooh. I LOVED These Broken Stars! I haven't read the others you mentioned, though. I'm going to check out the others you said you liked, since we may just have similar tastes in books.

Happy reading!